While a perfectly glossy lip is a makeup trend we love, there’s a reason why liquid lipstick is still a tried-and-true product in so many of our makeup bags. With their highly pigmented formulas and long life span, the best liquid lipsticks can take you from morning coffee to after-work drinks.
This week on The Arch, we’re covering how to prep your lips for liquid lipstick, so you can put your best lips forward. If you’ve ever wanted to know how to perfect the liquid lipstick look, consider this your go-to guide, complete with tips on how to make the most of lip scrubs, lip brushes and our very best Liquid Lipstick formula.
How Do You Make Your Lips Look Smooth?
When wearing liquid lipstick, smooth lips are essential. Otherwise, the formula can cling to dry patches, which is far from flattering. Hence your first step in prepping your lips: using a lip scrub. Exfoliating prior to applying liquid lipstick—or any lip product for that matter—is the key to making your lips look smooth. This will slough away the dead skin cells that can result in an uneven lipstick application.
Sample Lip Scrub Routine:
• Apply a dime-size amount of lip scrub onto clean, dry lips with your fingers.
• Massage the scrub onto your lips using circular motions.
• After you’ve finished exfoliating, wipe your lips to reveal a smooth, soft surface that’s ready for your lip products.
What Do You Put on Lips Before Applying Liquid Lipstick?
Before applying liquid lipstick and after exfoliating, it’s a good idea to apply a hydrating lip balm. Since liquid lipstick formulas are typically long-wearing, you’ll want to ensure your lips stay moisturized throughout the day and night.
You can use ABH Lip Primer as a hydrating lip conditioner and to prep lips for color application. This colorless, lightweight formula moisturizes and softens lips, creating a hydrating canvas for lip pigment to adhere. The smooth wax formula also prevents fading and feathering at the lip line.
Liquid Lipstick Mistakes to Avoid
As with any makeup product, there are common mistakes that can affect how the formula wears. In order to get the most out of your liquid lipstick look, be sure to avoid the following four mistakes.
• When applying liquid lipstick, it’s important not to apply too many layers.
• Liquid lipsticks have highly pigmented formulas that color your lips with just one lightweight layer. Over-applying can cause the formula to bulk, build or pill on your lips.
• While a little product goes a long way, if it’s an extremely opaque finish you’re after, let your first coat completely dry and then apply a second coat in one swipe.
• During the day, you may be tempted to reapply your color as you do with other lip products.
• However, reapplying liquid lipstick can potentially distort your application and result in an uneven lip look.
• Liquid lipsticks have long-lasting formulas, meaning there’s no need to reapply throughout the day.
3. Rubbing Your Lips
• While it may be tempting, avoid rubbing your lips together throughout the day.
• Friction may cause your liquid lipstick formula to budge, transfer or fade.
4. Excess Product
• Having too much liquid lipstick on your applicator can make it difficult to get a precise, smooth application.
• Wipe off excess product from the applicator wand onto the rim of the tube before you apply. This offers more control when applying.
Can You Put Lip Balm Over Liquid Lipstick?
Along with the mistakes we just mentioned, you may be tempted to apply lip balm over your liquid lipstick throughout the day—but don’t. Doing so can affect how long the formula wears. Instead, be sure to prep your lips for liquid lipstick by applying a hydrating balm prior to coloring your lips.
If glossy lips are what you’re after, you can layer a lip gloss over your liquid lipstick for a high-shine look that will last longer.
How Do You Use Liquid Lipstick?
Knowing how to prep your lips for liquid lipstick is only half the battle. It’s equally as important to know how to apply liquid lipstick properly. Our bestselling Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick has everything you need to create the ideal lip look for you. The full-pigment, ultra-saturated liquid formula dries down to a weightless matte finish for a smudge-proof, comfortable wear. Its flat paddle-shaped applicator distributes the perfect amount of product for precise application, so you can easily shape and fill for a full-coverage look in seconds. ABH Liquid Lipstick is available in more than 30 shades ranging from Naked (a light peachy nude) to Requiem (a metallic blackened teal).
Sample Liquid Lipstick Routine:
• Exfoliate your pout with a lip scrub to remove any dead skin.
• Smooth on a hydrating lip balm or Lip Primer. Allow the lips to fully absorb the formula.
• Now you are ready to apply Liquid Lipstick. Begin by outlining your Cupid’s bow with the precise applicator.
• Fill in the remainder of the top lip.
• Outline the bottom lip and fill.
For a Fuller Lip Look:
• Fill in lips starting from the corner of the mouth and move up toward your Cupid’s bow for a voluminous lip effect.
• Create an ombré lip look by applying a liquid lipstick about two shades lighter than your primary lip color to the center of your top and bottom lip. Use Anastasia Beverly Hills A2 Pro Brush to apply the lighter shade, gently blending where the two colors meet for a seamless, gradient effect.
• Apply Anastasia Beverly Hills Loose Highlighter to your Cupid’s bow for a final emphasis.
• To add structure and volume to your lip look, you can line and sculpt your lips using Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Definer in shade Auburn or Chocolate prior to your liquid lipstick application.
Now you can consider yourself a liquid lipstick pro—and put your best lips forward! Looking for another lip product to try? Give glossy lips a go with the help of Anastasia Beverly Hills Lip Gloss.